If you love Italian food, you will love this dish. It’s simple to make and using the portions listed, it will make a feast with lots of leftovers. If you’re not feeding an army and you don’t want to eat this for 3 meals, just cut these portion sizes in half. The portion sizes here feeds my family of five, a couple of guests and we still have left overs for lunch the next day; all for under $20.
1 package – approximately 5-6 links of Italian Sausage
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Large Red Onion
2 Large Cans Tomato Sauce
1 Small Can Tomato Paste
2- 10oz can Diced Tomatoes (I prefer Diced Fire-Roasted tomatoes)
1 box Penne-Rigate Pasta or Rigatoni Noodles
Grated Parmesan Cheese
16oz Finely Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Liquid Minced Garlic
Red Pepper (optional)
- Make your sauce in large pot.
- Place tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (drained), and tomato paste in pot on medium heat.
- Add 2 tbsp Garlic
- Add 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Add 1 tsp Red Pepper (optional)
- Bring sauce to boil, reduce heat to medium/low to simmer.
- Slice Italian Sausage. Do Not remove skin or sausage will crumble. Slice approximately ¼ – ½ ” cubes.
- Place Olive Oil in Large Frying Pan on Medium Heat.
- Place Sausage in frying pan and cook until browned.
- Add Sliced Bell Pepper to Sausage.
- Add 1 Whole Onion Cubed to Sausage.
- Cook Sausage, Peppers and Onions until desired.
- Drain Oil from Pan.
- Pour Sausage, Onions and Peppers into Tomato Sauce.
- Continue cooking sauce on medium/low simmer for approximately 1 hour or longer. (Note- Sometimes I let my sauce slow cook for 4-6 hours)
- Place Pasta in separate pot, cover with water and bring to boil. Follow directions on box for cooking pasta.
- After Pasta is tender, remove from heat and drain. DO NOT over-cook pasta. You will be cooking it some more.
- Place Pasta in large Deep Dish Casserole Dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
- Sprinkle with Mozzarella Cheese.
- Be cautious how much salt, if any, you add to sauce or pasta when using Parmesan Cheese.
- Using large ladle/spoon, dip sauce and place over pasta. Cover adequately so that sauce will sink down below pasta. Do not add too much sauce though. Just enough to cover evenly. Spread out sausage so that dish has equal amounts when you portion it out to serve later.
- Cover with Desired amount of Mozzarella Cheese.
- You may add more Parmesan, but be cautious how much you use because it will make the dish extra salty.
- Bake in oven 350-400 until Cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Serve with your favorite Salad and Garlic Bread. Dish will serve approximately 6 adults.
You can freeze or save any extra sauce or use to dip that Garlic Bread.